Environmental Management System
The purpose of the QICGRE Environmental Management System (EMS) is to provide a framework to protect the environment and respond to changing environmental conditions in balance with socio-economic needs. It specifies requirements that enable QICGRE to achieve the following intended outcomes:
- Enhancement of environmental performance and operational efficiency
- Fulfilment of compliance obligations
- Achievement of environmental objectives.
The EMS is consistent with the recognised international standard AS/NZS ISO 14001:2016 Environmental Management Systems – Requirements with Guidance for Use (ISO 14001). A significant project has been undertaken this year, in collaboration with independent external advisors, to review and evolve the EMS to be more comprehensive and incorporate new focus areas.
Providing a systematic approach to environmental management, the EMS provides information to build success over the long term and creates options for contributing to sustainable development. An important element of this approach is this detailed environmental management manual to guide construction, major renovation and operational activities.
This EMS manual establishes the processes and procedures for identifying, monitoring and addressing QICGRE’s environmental aspects and impacts, using the Plan-Do-Check-Act approach outlined in ISO 14001:
- Plan: establish environmental objectives and processes necessary to deliver results in accordance with QIC’s environmental policy
- Do: implement the processes as planned
- Check: monitor and measure progress against the environmental policy, including its commitments, environmental objectives and operating criteria, and report the results
- Act: take actions to continually improve.
The principal elements of the EMS are outlined below: